Tuesday, August 14, 2012

LIMITED EDITION Maybelline Great Lash Colored Mascara: Totally Teal


 Today I'm going to venture off from my usual lipstick reviews, and spread the word on the latest limited edition colored mascaras by Maybelline! I was so excited because colored mascaras are such a rare sight in drugstore makeup!


 The only place I've seen the display on the right is in Walgreens. The mascaras are quite cheap, only $5.99 at Walgreens. Maybelline is selling 4 shades:
1) Pop of Purple (dark purple)
2) Blink of Blue (navy blue)
3) Go Go Green
4) Totally Teal







The tube




 At first I wanted to get Blink of Blue. However, all of the reviews I read kept saying that the colors Pop of Purple and Blink of Blue were very hard to see, or didnt show up at all. Since I have dark Asian lashes, I got Totally Teal instead. 


 The wand


Totally Teal looks much bolder in the packaging and in the wand than it shows on the lashes. The color is there but it's subtle. I can definitely see it under sunlight and  bright lights. However, it's hard to see in regular indoor lighting. The color also gets less and less noticeable with distance.

 with 2 coats
The formula of the mascara itself is ok. It doesn't volumize or lengthen, but it doesn't clump either and is very easy to build. I usually put one coat, let it dry, and then put another coat to build up the color.


One thing you could do to intensify the color if you have dark lashes like mine is to use a white primer first and then apply the mascara. I don't have a white primer.

 from a distance

To conclude, don't trust the pictures on the displays. This mascara is a good buy for those of us like myself who want to experiment with colored mascaras. They are very cheap and are subtle enough to wear during the day. If you want a bold colored mascara, this one is not for you.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I was planning on getting Blink of Blue (if I can ever find these in a store!) but was also concerned with whether or not it'll show on my Asian lashes. Now I know to get the Teal... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad I could help! I hope you can find them soon :)

      Delete