Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Battle of Lipsticks: Revlon Va Va Violet vs Rimmel Lasting Finish by Kate Moss in 04


Lately I have been obsessed with the look of elegant, gothic, rich dark purple lips for the fall. My first dark purple lipstick buy was the limited edition Maybelline elegant lilac lipstick, which you can read the review for here: Maybelline Porcelain Lipstick: Elegant Lilac

This month I bought 2 others; the very famous Revlon Va Va Violet from the super lustrous line, and the rarely talked about Rimmel Lipstick in shade 04, from the Kate Moss collection.

Revlon Va Va Violet:
BIG letdown. Honestly, I have no idea how this lipstick became popular in the first place. The formula was very, very sheer. This wouldn't have been so bad except that it was also impossible to build the color. The texture was so slippery that when I tried to apply layers, the lipstick would move around, have a patchy effect, and sink into lines. Then I had to spread the lipstick with my finger to even out the patchiness, which removed a lot of the color.
Another problem was that even though the formula was slippery, the lipstick highlighted every single dry patch on my lips I didn't even know I had.
The price was $7 and some change at my Walgreens. 

I returned the lipstick and only took one picture:

 The darkest I could go without the uneven effect. Notice the dry patches where the lipstick clumped up; and this was after I exfoliated & put on chap stick.


 Rimmel Lipstick 04: 
The Pros: The lipstick is much more pigmented than the Revlon, yet it's also buildable. It can be a very dark purple applied full on or a dark berry color as a stain.  It's also cheaper than the Revlon; I paid $5.30 at my CVS.

The Cons: The lipstick is not as easy to apply as I would like because it moves around a bit when layering and sinks into lines. However, it's definitely not as bad as the Revlon.








Here are the swatches:


































Winner: neither of them are perfect, but out of the 2 I recommend the Rimmel Lipstick 04 for the pigmentation and the price!
What lip colors are you planning to wear for fall? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment